Sunday, March 18, 2012

I'm writing this first one from Lima, Peru, where I've been living for a month.  On the surface, it's a charm-less city, with noisy traffic blaring daily and dusty sand dunes in the distance.  A deeper glance would make tourists want to stay longer, because the people are warm and inviting.  Which to me, is what makes a place home.

I'm ecstatically enthusiastic about my work here, as a communications assistant for Heifer Perú.  It's a country program under Heifer International, and everything we do in the office is directly tied to field work.  Being close to the communities is the reason why I'm loving it.  We see the direct link from donation money to social impact.  

And although most of my work is creating presentations and writing articles, it's still a great feeling to be a part of the mission at Heifer:  work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth.

Here's a Prezi that explains our work, and where most of my Sunday afternoon went today...


As for the reason to begin this blog.  It's simple.  Along the way, the faint yearning to see my old friends changed into a desire to share more with them.  Because life has been incredibly bountiful after graduation, and so I'm sifting through multitudinous grains of memories before presenting them here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment